What is coaching?
Coaching is a dynamic partnership between a certified coach and client. The coach is masterful at asking thought provoking and energy moving questions that helps the client move towards accountable action. The coach works with the client’s present, what is happening now and uses all the tools the clients currently has in their tool box and joins them with the coach’s expertise. Together, it sets in motion a powerful drive to propel the client’s future.
The ICF, a global leader in coaching accreditation and advancing the coaching profession, defines coaching as:
“Partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential, which is particularly important in today’s uncertain and complex environment. Coaches honor the client as the expert in his or her life and work and believe every client is creative, resourceful and whole. Standing on this foundation, the coach’s responsibility is to:
- Discover, clarify, and align with what the client wants to achieve
- Encourage client self-discovery
- Elicit client-generated solutions and strategies
- Hold the client responsible and accountable
This process helps clients dramatically improve their outlook on work and life, while improving their leadership skills and unlocking their potential.”
What are benefits of coaching?
Coaching is rife with benefits as long as the client is open to stretch him/herself and work hard towards achieving their goals. The ICF reports up to 70% increase in work productivity and 80% increase in self confidence. Additional benefits of coaching are:
- Integration of what you learn into your day to day life
- Fresh perspectives on managing challenging experiences
- Positive shifts in thinking patterns
- Confidence to take risks on new ideas and try new ideas
- Increased skills on leading oneself and others
- Improved relationships
Click here to learn more about the additional benefits of coaching.